Friday, May 1, 2009

spring rain, time-out, a list, some park photos

I have been sitting here for about 10 minutes listening to the sounds of soft thunder and rain outside the open window! Hudson started sleeping in his own bed for naps and at night up until he wakes for a feeding. So he is there now, instead of the swing, where he usually sleeps amid all the action and noise that Cooper and the dog make. This was good for a time, but now it seems to wake him up more than we like.

Cooper went down for an early nap, after finishing off about 6 cinnamon graham crackers and spending his first 2 minutes in time out for kicking me during a diaper change, after a warning I took him to time out (yes, it's official, he is going to be 2). He stayed put in the chair after repeating, "stay, stay, stay" as if he were willing himself to do it. Very cute and enough to melt me! The 2 minutes went by quickly and I felt very good about his attitude afterwards and mine, and we got through the diaper change with no problems! I felt much better with the results of time out than the time I spanked him for kicking. It just seemed so backwards to use my hands to hurt him because he was using his feet to hurt me. He seemed to "get it" why he was in time out, and the spanking seemed to make him even more angry and want to kick harder. I guess you just have to try different things and see what works for each child.

Since I like lists, and they are easy to read, I'll give you a quick run-down of how things are going around here in a list:
- planted our garden, peppers, tomatoes, squash, cucumber, and herbs are all in so far.
- enjoying as much time outside as possible
- enjoying the nostalgia (if you want to call it that) of box fans in the windows to save on our bills.
- baking bread
- playing with bugs and dead worms in the driveway
- picking "ouchy berries" these are holly berries Cooper pulls off and says "ouchy" because of the prickly leaves on the bush
- lots of time with Hudson on a blanket outside on the lawn or at the park
- playdates with friends
- Hudson finally rolling over, attempting to sit up
- Cooper eating more and more vegetables
- Cooper discovering candy - it all started with the Easter "bas-sick"
- both babes spending lots of time hanging out just wearing a cloth diaper around the house
- I am cooking more (stacy)
- Cooper playing independently - praise the Lord!
- Ben loving his job but finding ways to deal with his terrible commute

And now for some pics, we went to the park with some friends last week, Candace, Melita, Jodi, Jack and Reed. It was a fun time. Thanks, Candace for the pics!





No comments: